“If art is to nourish the roots of our culture, society must set the artist free to follow his vision wherever it takes him.” –JFK, Amherst College Address (Oct 26, 1963)

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Nobody fed the creature and the creature died.

This last week had a lot of ups and downs and unfortunately they all had to do with the art program and my brain trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life... I know that this might be a recurring theme being that I am in college and should probably try to figure these things out as soon as possible, but whenever I do it causes more harm than good. At the beginning of this last week my friend Lauren and I moved into our sculpture studio space and then things really started getting serious. I am blessed to be able to surround myself with wise upperclassmen that know more about what they're doing and where they're going but it also stresses me out more than it probably should. We are brainstorming for our first sculpture project and I'm not as far as I'd like to be but I have been distracted by other classes and that doesn't help much. Also, these last two weeks we have had a show in the student gallery that has been up and it took up an hour of my time every day... So this is the start of some of the downs; The show failed because as a group we didn't work as collectively as we should have and I regret that I hadn't mentioned anything to the class about that but what's done is done. Lars told us that our issue was that nobody fed the creature and the creature died, and I think that I am going to start to bring that idea into my practice more than I have been. If we have creative ideas that we let sit in the back of our brains and we don't constantly feed them than how are they supposed to grow? I figure that since this is a life drawing post than I should probably address the class and talk about this week's progress. At the beginning of the week I felt a great deal more confident than I did at the end of the week when I walked around and took a look at the drawings made by the rest of the class. I thought for awhile that I was getting the ribs right but I think I am going to need to start to search for models on my free time because I might need twice as much work as the rest of my classmates when it comes to this course. It was interesting to have a male model at the end of the week because it gave me a chance to see the difference between the curves in the female figure and the opposite in the men's figure. Tonight I just got back from molding the muscles on my skeleton and I am pleased to report that I am actually doing quite a lot better with it than I was before, I think that the model that we can look at helps because when I look at the book I get more confused than I should be as to where the muscles go on the bones and what not. I hope that I improve in my drawings this week because that would be a nice change. Sweet Dreams Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment