“If art is to nourish the roots of our culture, society must set the artist free to follow his vision wherever it takes him.” –JFK, Amherst College Address (Oct 26, 1963)

Sunday, May 15, 2011

I can make it better for you.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/meganwieczorek/

I can't believe that life drawing is over with and in some ways I am happy but I also feel like I had been improving and so it's a bummer... As far as my blog goes for this semester I feel like I have been getting better in talking about if and how I have been improving in the class. This semester I have learned a great deal about not only life drawing but also about how well I work in drawing gestures as compared to long drawings and about how much time it really takes for me to succeed over the time that it takes other people. I found out a lot about the way that my brain works and how I connect the shapes that I am drawing to those on both the manikens and on the model's figure. Over the sum of these past five months in this class I wish that I could have improved a lot more than I ended up improving and I get people telling me that I have and that I should really keep looking at my drawings so that I can see what they are seeing... I think in the end when we look at our work just as sometimes we catch ourselves examining our lives well, we will always in some ways feel like we have fallen short. The way that I believe that this applies to my drawings is in the fact that I see myself using some of the same techniques that I have been trying to change for years. Now, I'm not saying that I haven't improved at all because I know that I have but I guess it's just the level of improvement that I have grown to expect and the contrast between that and what I see in my drawings. One of the most interesting things that I have picked up on this semester is the muscles that we put on the maniken and how they really are visible in the body and how they move when we move and how we draw those movements and even if the body moves the slightest bit there is still a change and should be a visible change in the drawings. I also noticed this especially while drawing the face, how different the model's expression is even if the angle on the mouth is changed only a tiny bit and the same thing goes for the nose and ears and hairline. My strengths this semester in drawing were more along the lines of me narrowing my focus enough to be able to focus on one aspect of the figure just long enough to get the right movement. Life drawing is so much more different than drawing still life objects, it's a great deal about examining the body and the forms that it takes but also about (for me) being able to separate the fact that I'm looking at a body and see the figure more as a form in which you need to execute perfect angles. I will use all that I learned in life drawing in every aspect of my life. As long as I'm around people I am using what I learned haha something quick and funny about this is on Saturday I hung out with a guy that I'm interested in and whenever we talked I couldn't help but to look at the planes on his face and the muscles and how they moved in his forearms. On the same day I went to a movie with a friend of mine and all throughout the movie I was assessing the angles and thinking about how I would draw them. I hope you all have a wonderful summer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment