“If art is to nourish the roots of our culture, society must set the artist free to follow his vision wherever it takes him.” –JFK, Amherst College Address (Oct 26, 1963)

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

If you're not moving forward.

It's funny that as I actually sit here with this picture in front of me I can see everything that's wrong with it. First off, the model that we were drawing is not nearly as fat as I made him in this drawing. Though if you were to look at the progression of drawings and how I have improved greatly since the start of this drawing, maybe you'd say that I just needed another half an hour or so and I might believe you. I do like the way that the lines are looking though because it's been pretty hard for me to actually realize those lines and find how they fit into the bone structure of the face. Some of the things that I thought were really difficult were the eyes because of the fact that he always seemed to be opening and closing them rather than keeping them open, which really does make sense because your eyes can get really dry and tired. As you can probably see, I made the chin really quite large which in all actuality it looked proportionate when I was drawing it and seemed like it when I looked at it in the drawing room. But, such is life, and I'm just glad that I'm not making Rob pay for this portrait or something haha because than... Well, he'd give me a receipt. In other news and notes... my back is breaking because I'm bent over this board I'm working on for sculpture. No kids I dont guarantee that handing over your life is a good idea but I'm gonna say that you're eventually gonna hand your life over to someone or something. I chose art a long time ago.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, he looks a little vertically stretched. But like you said, your lines are fantastic. Your planes look right on point with great contour lines. Even though its a bit stretched, I still definitely see Rob in it which is AWESOME!! I know our blogs are supposed to just be about life drawing, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss your witty comments on the rest of your life this week. See you maƱana chica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does look a bit chubby....but he did have a double chin, so you're on the right track! haha you always seem to work much faster than others, and I think it's great. you have more time than others to go back and fix your drawings. I hope this crazy week that is ahead of us goes well.... let me rephrase that, I hope we survive. <3

    ReplyDelete