“If art is to nourish the roots of our culture, society must set the artist free to follow his vision wherever it takes him.” –JFK, Amherst College Address (Oct 26, 1963)

Sunday, May 1, 2011

You spread your wings.


This week has been something interesting and frustrating and somewhat unproductive and productive... Yeah, if that makes any sense to you I will be surprised because lately everything has been really jumbled. In life drawing this week we worked on drawing noses, ears, and lips and I feel as if when I actually take a look at my drawings they are significantly worse than I had originally believed them to be. It’s a bummer that its almost finals week and I feel as if I haven’t improved at all in my drawings but the good thing is that I feel as if I have gotten a further appreciation for life drawing and how difficult it actually is. Also, I realized that when we study the individual body parts and how they fit into the body I become more and more aware of these parts and I look for them in people as well as through pictures. I was actually sitting here typing and I leaned over to a friend of mine and showed him how I actually found a bunch of pictures of lips and eyes and put them into a folder on my computer. I have a long way to go with my drawing abilities as well as in adjusting the way that I see things in order to really make any changes and so I feel that I will be doing that a great deal this summer if I can help it. Okay, so anyways… I think that I have said something like this before but I think that the structure under the surface is what makes me so uneasy when I draw. I hate the fact that I’m rambling but if you ever really talk to me you’ll see that’s how I am on a normal basis. As far as the title of my blog goes, all of them really have to do with things that I am thinking about in my practice and throughout my life…. This week is more of a commentary on relationships and the fact that we are all capable of growth both with and without them.

1 comment:

  1. Megan you have a great respect/appreciation for life drawing. Without a doubt you have an understanding of life drawing and prove that by the majority of your blog. You most definitely have used that knowledge to improve. Just because you don't feel like its showing right now, doesn't mean its not there. You're extremely distracted and your focus just might not be on life drawing right now, which is ok. We can only multitask so much. But still be proud of your drawings, they look good even if you can't see it right now.

    ReplyDelete